Help us complete a $10-million campaign to give our most fragile babies and their families the space they deserve.
St. Michael’s will become one of the only academic hospitals in Canada that has maternity, labour and delivery, and neonatal intensive care – all on the same floor.
· It’s based on FiCare, the global gold standard in NICU care.
· We’re the hospital other hospitals call when moms need complex medical care. That’s because we are home to globally renowned experts in the highly specialized fields of pregnancy and hypertension, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, multiple sclerosis, bleeding disorders, trauma, kidney and heart disease.
· Our model of care keeps moms and babies together if either needs specialized care. For baby, that means fewer infections, quicker weight gain and going home sooner. It also means better cognitive development down the road. For parents, it means less stress and more confidence in taking care of their baby when they get home.
· We care for more pregnant women who suffer from homelessness, HIV, mental health challenges or addictions than any other hospital in the province.
· Our innovations not only impact medical practice, but national policy as well.
Now we need the space and better facilities to match our preeminent care.
Because we’re not just creating a nice space. We are fundamentally changing the way babies are cared for.
We are so close to our goal. Help us get there.
Help Us Build
Save a newborn’s life in the NICU Resuscitation Area.Learn more
Make sure babies have technologically advanced incubators and bassinettes to help them grow.Learn more
Give our families the privacy they deserve in our Obstetrics Triage and Assessment Unit.Learn more
Help struggling parents de-stress in our NICU Family Lounge.Learn more
Thanks to the generosity of our donors, we are building a new maternity floor and NICU based on the global gold standard of care.
“We feel so lucky”Read more
“The St. Mike’s staff were great. The nurses taught us so much about how to take care of the girls.”Read more
“I was told I was dying, and my only choice was to deliver the baby that night or risk both our lives.”Read more
The Sinclair Family creates a fund in memory of their daughter to support the new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.Read more
“We have a soft spot for babies. We believe that every baby should get a fair start in life.”Read more
Director of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit | Medical Director of the Allan Waters Family Simulation Centre | Deputy Chief of Pediatrics
Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology | Co-director of the Multidisciplinary Clinic for Women with Bleeding Disorders
Respiratory Physiologist and Scientist | Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science
Clinical social worker in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and the Department of Pediatrics
Chief of Pediatrics
Director of the Minimally Invasive Gynecological Surgery Fellowship
NICU and Maternal Care Cabinet
Daniel F. Sullivan
Dr. Doug Campbell
Dr. Robert J. Howard
Dr. Filomena Meffe
Dr. Ori Rotstein
Dr. Michael Sgro
Kerry O’Reilly Wilks
Did You Know?
St. Michael’s Hospital’s NICU cares for the sickest and most fragile infants who are either born at the hospital or transferred for specialized care from centres across the province.
Research & Innovation
St. Michael’s NICU and maternal care experts are not only top health-care professionals. They are also research pioneers guided by a spirit of relentlessness and an ethos of entrepreneurship.
St. Michael’s scientist Christer Sinderby created NAVA, which has elevated mechanical ventilation to a new level and helped the tiniest premature babies survive.Read more
Our scientists and doctors were sick of seeing babies fight for breath. So they developed a revolutionary technology that helps newborns breathe easier without the tubes that damage their tiny faces. It’s called NeoVest, and it’s set to help fragile babies in hospitals around the world.Read more
St. Michael’s is the hospital other hospitals call when they need advice on how to care for vulnerable moms and their babies.